Around fifteen students are Drama Leaders, identified from able and committed drama students who are usually, but not always, in the school production. It is open to Year 9s onwards, although this year there will be a few confident and committed Year 8s becoming leaders once the Year 11s have left. Selection is done either by staff invitation, or by volunteering, and the qualities that such students need are:
(i) ability in terms of performance skills;
(ii) the ability to communicate ideas confidently and the potential to lead others;
(iii) a good understanding of the processes of creating drama, coupled with a creative mind;
(iv) a demonstrated commitment to the extra-curricular work of the department, through participation in the house drama competitions and/or the school production.
Drama Leaders undertake some or all of the following tasks:
- Guiding and supporting students in the creation and development of their House Drama pieces.
- Working with small groups and individuals in rehearsal for the school production.
- Developing drama for performance in the summer and Christmas concerts, either as a group in their own right, or supporting the work of other students.
- Accompanying staff on student theatre trips, with responsibility for overseeing small groups of younger students.
- Helping staff and other students with presentations in assemblies.
- Contributing to student voice activities in helping the department to develop and to support student learning and opportunities.