AQA GCSE Geography Course content
Unit 1: Living with the Physical Environment
- Challenges of natural hazards (tectonics, tropical storms, extreme weather)
- Physical landscapes in the UK (coasts and rivers)
- The Living World (local ecosystems, tropical rainforests, cold environments)
Unit 2: Challenges in the Human Environment
- Urban Challenges (contrasting cities, sustainable urban futures)
- The Changing Economic World (closing the development gap, economic studies)
- The Challenge of Resource Management (global resource security: water)
Unit 3: Geographical Applications
- Issue Evaluation (Issue selected from any part of the specification)
- Fieldwork (two fieldwork enquiries, contrasting environments, physical and human geography, enquiry process). We will visit the Dorset coastline for a day trip and optional weekend residential in the spring of Y10 and Gloucester docks for a day study visit in Y11.
Unit 1: 1h 30m exam worth 35% in June of Y11
Unit 2: 1h 30m exam worth 35% in June of Y11
Unit 3: 1h exam worth 30% in June of Y11.
Students will be examined on their issue evaluation and fieldwork studies during this paper. They will also receive a pre-release resource booklet before the exam. Fieldwork is completed in Y10 but examined in Y11 and represents 15% of the total assessment.