Combined Science – Trilogy
Most students will study for the Combined Science GCSE – Trilogy. This entails covering Biology, Chemistry and Physics content and is worth two GCSEs at the end of Year 11. This course is intended to provide students with a good grasp of Science and the scientific principles and is the usual route to study A Level Sciences.
The units covered by the Combined Science GCSE – Trilogy (8464) are given below and full specifications can be found here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse
- Cell Biology (covered in Year 9)
- Organisation (covered in Year 9)
- Infection and Response
- Homeostasis and Response
- Inheritance, variation and evolution
- Atomic Structure and the periodic table (covered in Year 9)
- Bonding, structure and the properties of matter (covered in Year 9)
- Quantitative chemistry
- Chemical changes
- Energy changes
- The rate and extent of chemical change
- Organic chemistry
- Chemical analysis
- Chemistry of the atmosphere
- Using resources
- Energy (covered in Year 9)
- Electricity (covered in Year 9)
- Particle model of matter
- Atomic structure
- Magnetism and electromagnetism
Pupils are assessed by six 1hr 15min papers at the end of the course; two in each discipline. The papers not only test the content, but also the practical and mathematical ability of the students.
The assessment objectives are given below and are tested in the ratio 40%:40%:20%.
- AO1 Recall, select and communicate their knowledge and understanding of science.
- AO2 Apply skills, knowledge and understanding of science in practical and other contexts.
- AO3 Analyse and evaluate evidence, make reasoned judgements and draw conclusions based on evidence.
- Mathematical skills are assessed as 10% of Biology, 20% of Chemistry and 30% of Physics marks across all papers.
At the end of the course, students are awarded a double 9-1 grade in Combined Science. Eg 7-7 or 7-6.
To support pupils through the course, pupils are required to purchase specific workbooks and optional revision guides which are available at reduced cost through the school.