In PE we:
1. Run the Sports Leaders UK Award, a nationally recognised award which typically sees around 40+ students in Year 10 delivering sporting activities to primary school pupils. Students opt for this award during their option choices offered in their lesson time.
2. Run a leadership scheme in the school under the umbrella of ‘Sports Captains and Sports Ambassadors’. They are responsible for helping deliver sports coaching to the younger students in the school during extra-curricular time. Students are encouraged to apply for this scheme and have to write a letter of application which is then judged by the PE Department.
3. Formally assess students in coaching / leadership roles in GCSE PE as part of their course.
4. BTEC Sport students have an assignment on leading a sporting event which involves delivering an activity to primary school or Year 7 students.
5. Leadership permeates through all our Core PE lessons. We regularly and routinely ask students to take on leadership roles when organising tournaments, taking warm-ups or helping to coach skills within lessons. Staff will select students to take on these roles in their lessons.